Bison Meat and Its Origins
Bison meat is actually not your typical and average meat. Most people eat cow and buffalo meats since they are the ones that are more common and staple in every household.
Today, bison meat is already considered as a top protein food source due to its beneficial nutrient contents like B vitamins, iron, and zinc. Bison meat might be healthy but what does bison taste like?
Another known advantage for getting into a bison diet is that they are way more organic than the factory farm cow breeds since a bison is free-range and so they are always grass fed.
Are you even more curious of how bison would taste? Do you want to know how bison meat could be made into a delicious meal for the family? Then you are most certainly in the right post our dear readers.
We will show you all the things that you need to know about bison meat and how it could benefit your palate and your body as well.
Why Choose Bison Meat and How Does It Taste?
Before we start a detailed post about bison, here is actually a YouTube video on the demand for bison in California. This will further inform us on how bison meat is being considered a hot topic in the US.
1. Lean Meat
This is one of the reasons why people nowadays choose Bison meat over other meats in the market.
This meat contains lower saturated fat than most meats. If you are conscious about your health and want to avoid meat due to fat, then bison meat will not be a problem for you to consume. Lean protein is a great source of nutrients despite red meat being too unhealthy of a diet for other people.
2. The Taste
Bison meat is actually synonymous with beef when it comes to taste. The only difference is that bison meat has a richer flavor.
Most burger franchises in the US actually starts to use bison meat than regular beef since it is healthier and more flavorful than beef. Bison meat could also be cooked in a variety of ways to maximize its full flavor.
Towards the end of this review, I will give out one recipe for you to give bison meat a shot for your family to enjoy.
3. Health Benefits
Bison meat actually contains lots of nutrients.
The good thing with this is that bison meat only has 6 grams of fat and 124 calories. It is rich in Vitamin B12, Zinc, Selenium, Niacin and Iron.
Imagine getting all the healthy nutrients from the tenderloin cut without getting lots of cholesterol and fat. In our opinion, this is one of the reasons why we need to switch to bison meat now more than ever.
4. What more could you ask for?
With all the benefits of consuming bison meat, I think we would be able to verify and answer the question to this post. To further emphasize, bison meat has a richer flavor with a slight sweetness compared to the regular beef.
It also has a tender texture and mild flavor. A pro tip that we can recommend to make sure you’re getting the best flavor from your bison meat is to cook it in medium heat to avoid overcooking.
With this attribute, we will also include a recipe so that you can also make delicious dishes using bison meat.
Bison Meat Pasta Recipe
How about we put bison meat into one of our favorite pasta dishes, would it actually taste fine? You’ll never know if you won’t try, right?
Here are all the things that you will need for your very own Turkish pasta.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin ( for added spice)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pound ground bison
- ½ cup nonfat plain yogurt (Greek style is a plus)
- 1 pound whole-wheat wide pasta (fettuccine)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- ½ cup pomegranate juice
The most important ingredient: 1 pound ground bison
A step-by-step process
1. Put water in pot and wait until it reaches the boiling point.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet. Saute onion, carrot, and celery; stir occasionally until softened. Add garlic and cook for one more minute. Stir in the paprika, coriander, salt, pepper, cumin, and cinnamon. Cook for another minute just to make sure the flavor will be absorbed by the veggies.
3. Increase the heat to medium or high then add the bison meat. Cook until the meat is not that pinkish anymore. Add the pomegranate juice. Add the tomatoes, cilantro, mint and lemon juice for added flavor. Bring to a simmer then lower the heat. Season with more pepper if needed.
4. Cook pasta in the pot with boiling water until tender, for about 9 minutes. Drain and the divide the pasta. Put the sauce in a bowl. Dinner is now served!
Bison meat is truly remarkable when it comes to flavor and health benefits! We were able to figure out all the things we need to know about bison meat. I hope that you guys enjoyed this post!
Do you have any suggestions about this post? Did you also try other recipes for bison meat? Then do not forget to leave your thoughts in our comment section below. If you also liked this post, feel free to share this on your social media pages. Cheers mate and enjoy bison meat!